Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Buttermilk Flaxseed Pancakes

These are quite delicious. They hail from my friend Becca, whose husband's dad has been making them since he can remember. I tasted them when I was visiting with her family (she's my BFF Laura's big sis) in San Diego and have finally gotten around to making them myself.

Our babe is still a little young for pancakes, but these are great kid food too. In fact it's one of Becca's son's staple menu items.



Do you want to hear a most satisfying detail? We made butter on Friday night and the leftover buttermilk went into our pancakes. How great is that? I was very pleased. And the homemade butter is something else. It's so creamy.




Buttermilk Flaxseed Pancakes

1 c all purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c ground flaxseed meal
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

4 T melted butter
2 eggs
2 c buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until well mixed. Add butter and whisk until well combined. Add buttermilk and mix.

Fold in dry ingredients until just combined.

Grease skillet with butter (or oil) and I think everyone knows how to make pancakes. I added sliced bananas to some of ours and they were delicious.

If you want to skip the buttermilk you can substitute 2/3 cup of yogurt and 1 1/3 cup of water (or possibly milk?). Which makes them, I don't know, possibly healthier?

Either way they are delicious.

6 comments:

Caroline said...

There is nothing better than a homemade pancake in the morning!!

ashley sullivan said...

sounds so delicious and wholesome. and the homemade butter has me intrigued! love hearing your kitchen successes.

Rebecca B said...

thanks for the shout-out! i'm glad you like the pancakes. someday soon dash will be chowing down on them i'm sure.

"T-Bone" Lee said...

how did you make the butter???? i think that's one of those crazy things i might like to try

Willa said...

I read this post last week and today I was inspired to try my hand at making butter. Big thanks to you because it's freaking delicious!!

suztorres said...

Very good. My only change would be to add a bit of sweetener (sugar or honey) to the batter.