Thursday, September 11, 2008

DIY-ish invites: 3rd and final chapter

Here they are, all packaged up and ready for send off.



I haven't had a chance to shoot the individual pieces yet, aside from what I already posted from the press check. It's been so overcast in the mornings that the light in my house has been crap, making blog photography an impossibility. I will have to post those when I finally get photos, because the reply postcard is my favorite piece.



At the last minute, it was deemed absolutely necessary that our invites include a little monogram-y thing to tie everything together. Of course I was out of Gocco supplies, and they are not easy to come by on the westside of LA. And driving to Blue Rooster on the other side of town just wasn't an option. But LUCKILY my friend Amanda had some extra bulbs tucked away in her closet and bailed me out at the last minute. She owed me though. It was SHE who confirmed (during a marathon envelope-lining night) my brewing suspicions that it was monogram or bust... she was right, of course.





So I chopped up some of Jenna's calligraphy in photoshop and cobbled together an acceptable intertwining BK. And thanks to an emergency trip to Michael's and the genius of the 2 inch wide hole punch, it was business time. We used a bunch of different ribbon, but I actually ended up liking variations of black & white the best. I couldn't ever find the perfect shade of muted, vintagey emerald green I'd imagined, but I think the black was better anyway.

Soooo glad this project is over.

20 comments:

Kate said...

OMG, how is it that I love them more? Can I please have one...I'll send you a good present! lol Seriously though, those are fantastic. I'm going to blog about them right now.

Speaking of your fabulous invites, will you email me? I have a question about the embossed part and where you got it done, etc. I'm looking to have some paper embossed with a honeycomb pattern for my little business. Thanks... kmwhl1 {at} gmail dot com

Kate said...

Also, did you print the envelopes liner paper yourself or did you just happen upon it?

btw, I found coasters! I'm so excited by that, how silly am I?

cevd said...

the monogram was a very nice touch. still kinda wishing these were my invites ...

Anonymous said...

they look amazing

kristina said...

Oh the envelope liners...

yes, I did print the paper/pattern myself. We have a 44 in wide plotter at work that I hijacked for wedding related purposes... one of the few perks of working in an office (thought a cool office) all day, every day.

I printed literally 16,000 square inches of pattern and cut out each liner with an exacto. that was a big project. but worth it, no?

kristina said...

i can't spell...

I meant, THOUGH a cool office. I should use the preview function more often when writing comments.

Anonymous said...

Your invitation suite is insanely beautiful!! All the pieces complement each other so perfectly. I can't believe you created so much of this by hand too. I can't wait to see the reply postcard...

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful! I'm usually not a monogram person, but the combination of the calligraphy and ribbon is just gorgeous. I also remember how good it felt to get our wedding invites out the door - so congratulations!

east side bride said...

Um, you srsly can't call these DIY. You know that, right?

Kate said...

Damn you and your cool office...My office is my couch!

But not for long...

Kate said...

Damn you and your cool office...My office is my couch!

But not for long...

ami @ elizabeth anne designs said...

omg these are stunning! we would love to feature them on EAD?

kristina said...

ami - um, YES! of course... that is way flattering.

thank you!

Rebecca said...

Love that ribbon monogram!

Tusset said...

Your invites are so beautiful! I'm jealous of your guests!!

Anonymous said...

steen, i will say it again for the 10th time..these really did turn out exquisite! you must submit to martha? stop teasing your readers and post the postcard already! (you guys will love)

What he ate, what I ate. said...

My heart just skipped a beat! These are divine. If I only had the time and the knowledge and the supplies and patience and the...

Anonymous said...

Wow! These invites are gorgeous! Every piece is perfect. I love the black envelopes with white calligraphy. I have been considering black envelopes but was concerned that white lettering might not show up properly. Were the envelopes printed, or did you use a calligrapher? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Janet said...

Lovely! How did you keep them bound so nicely? Did they not shift around after you tied them together? Great, great work!

Unknown said...

You did the blind emboss paper yourself?! Hmmmm, do you know where a girl could get something similar (who isn't so artistically gifted!) Very beautiful invitations!