Monday, September 22, 2008

my pumpkins

Speaking of little hints of fall... I harvested my pumpkin experiment a few weeks ago. so satisfying! the original inspiration for turning our yard into a pumpkin patch over the summer was to use them for, um, centerpieces for the wedding. OOPS. I made up this story in my head that they would all grow to be perfect LITTLE heirloom pumpkins in muted shades of peach, green, and white. A touch of late october without the overwhelming feeling of halloween.



WELL. They are mostly huge. But I haven't given up hope of incorporating them into wedding decors. I think I might pile the green ones up at 1) the entrance to hotel? 2) the entrance to the ceremony space (like behind the chairs at the start of the aisle? 3) somewhere around the reception?

IDEAS???



We're renting a U-haul to go out to Palm Springs anyway (need to take a load of succulent arrangements I've planted for the ceremony and reception) so might as well throw the pumps in and put them to work! Plus then, we can pass them out on Sunday to good homes.

PS. When planting pumpkins, be aware that spiders and at least in our yard, Black Widows, love making their web on the underside of each squash.



We apparently live in the ideal microclimate for Black Widows to thrive. They are everywhere. Very cool looking spiders but unnerving all the same.

2 comments:

Cassaundra said...

gorgeous pumpkins - and i imagine they will look lovely as piece in your wedding.

eep!
black widow spiders?!?!
scary!

Rachel said...

LOL! That's something that I would do - plant the pumpkins and have them turn out much larger than anticipated! But they're so cool! I'm voting for placing them at the entrance to your venue, by the doors.

You know, I was almost considering planting some of these - just for fun, for next year - UNTIL YOU MENTIONED SPIDERS!! Eeek!!
I think I'll buy mine at Kroger now.