Thursday, November 5, 2009

colors, flavors, fall



As I was going through my photos of our trip I realized I'd taken a few the week before that were so nice and fall-like, it seemed it would be a shame not to share.



Katya's shower was sort of the christening of fall cooking for me. Loads of colors and root vegetables from the market. I love roasted vegetables. For dinner I made a bunch of different types:

Winter squash (kabocha, butternut, and acorn) with thyme

Beets with balsamic and rosemary

Carrots with cumin seed and cilantro

Heirloom potatoes with dill flowers




I'm kind of getting hungry just remembering. The beets with balsamic and rosemary were a new combo for me, inspired by a Jamie O. episode and the bride's obsession with Balsamic. They are here to stay. OMG.

And the dill flowers were kind of a neat addition. Very delicious. Plus all of the combos included the essential olive oil, salt, pepper, and in some cases a little garlic. Cannot go wrong when you toss and set in the oven on high heat.



And we had a yummy salad of Maggie's Farm stellar mix greens (the secret to any successful salad) with persimmon, gorgonzola and toasted walnuts. Plus a bunch of other things that I'm not remembering at the moment.

So looking forward to simple, delicious meals. And lots of squash. And beets. And persimmons.

But first, I'm off to catch an early flight to Georgia this morning to visit Laura and her little man, Judah. And visit the farm and dine at Farm 255. And then I'll be back with lots more photos. I think they might even have piglets right now. The farm, not the restaurant.

8 comments:

Kate said...

They do have piglets right now!! I just went to see them the other day. They are so adorable! Have fun!

Janean said...

it's not even lunch, but these veggies make me hungry! your photos are wonderful.

Karin van Dam said...

Beautiful pictures. They make me hungry too :-)

What he ate, what I ate. said...

persimmon in your salad. fabulous idea!

Meg said...

hi! your blog is super cute... i love the fall colors. i'm glad i stumbled across you!
meg

Rhonda said...

Have fun!

Caroline said...

Amazing photos!!! I love the flower picture ... instant cheer!!!

c said...

Absolutely gorgeous shots. The beets sound amazing.