Monday, November 30, 2009

the end of november

The beets from the market were mighty delicious. Not that you can really mess up the little gems. I said this was going to be my go-to beet recipe when I made it for Katya's shower and I've now made it 3 more times in the last month. (So reliable. Or obsessive. Either way.)

The recipe being: little beets tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, and balsamic, roasted on a baking sheet at ~400 until perfectly tender. I usually cover them with foil for the first part of roasting to make sure they're cooked through before the edges start to burn.

This time I finished them with a sprinkling of blood orange olive oil that we brought home from Napa. Yum.

And I'd recommend using every variety of beet you can find... for prettiness. I used bull's blood, chiogga, golden, and white. (not sure if the white ones have a special name or not).







Last weekend was also the official weekend of leftovers...



Hoping I can convince Brock to eat this bread pudding for dinner again tonight. I'LL MAKE A FRESH SALAD I PROMISE.

And the Christmas decorations are slowly assuming position.



I couldn't resist a simple Scandinavian style wreath at Solo this weekend. It reminds me of the straw bird ornaments my mom always hangs on her tree.

I'm kind of excited for December.

14 comments:

Jane Flanagan said...

Blood orange olive oil sounds like something I need to find!!

I usually sprinkle my roast root veg with maple syrup and maldon salt (also recommended - like salty caramels)

Meg said...

oh those beets look so good... yum! i'll have to try this recipe.

Nikki F said...

Hi!! What is this bread pudding you speak of? I am in love with a gently sweet version (for dessert), but if you have a savory recipe, I would love to hear about it (or if you already posted about it, sorry) ♥Nikki

Giovanna said...

oh my god, this is making me hungry. i'm making this beet recipe this week! thanks.

jora said...

I WANT that wreath but it doesn't look like I can order it online.... :-( Glad you made it to Round Pond!

Kim B. said...

Your photos are always SO gorgeous.

Your last Christmas as just the two of you!!

Fern and Feather said...

'more beets' the first two words my son said together! YUM.

Joslyn said...

the wreath is gorgeous (and the beets are awfully pretty too!)

i'm also pretty jazzed for decemeber...love the holidays!

xo

Anonymous said...

I am new to cooking beets: Do you peel the beets first for this recipe? In the past I have roasted them first in foil and then peeled them.

bigBANG studio said...

will hang my scando wreath pronto but first a quick trip to the farmer's market to get some baby multicolored beets...

can't wait to try this! also, ditto about the savory bread pudding recipe.

Cayleigh said...

Just want to tell you I love your blog. It's so inspiring to hear about living in a healthy, eco-friendly way without much sacrifice! You've actually given me the puch I needed to start my own blog, would love if you check it out!
http://mtlsugarandspice.blogspot.com/

Tanita said...

I step over here for some time but never left a comment.
This blog is an inspiration and a delight to the eyes.
I love the photos. Please, continue I pass by here whenever I can.
Thank you!

Elleni said...

I just bought some golden beets from the market. I like to use the greens in pasta. I'm going to post the recipe on my blog: http://ellenitza.blogspot.com/

jamie said...

LOVE that wreath.