Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Glen Oaks, Big Sur

We're planning a lil' trip at the end of October to celebrate our first married anniversary, among other things. We almost chose Hawaii. Kauai actually. In fact we still have reservations there in case we change our mind YET AGAIN. But at this point I think we've made up our mind. We're heading north for one of our very favorite fall trips. There's something magical about the Bay Area in October, isn't there? Maybe it's all the good food and golden light, but whatever it is moves me practically to tears when I imagine all the things we love up there.

First stop on said trip is Big Sur. We have a very important wedding to attend in San Diego the day before we take off, so we decided to cut the drive a little short and stay the night on the coast. Mostly because I NEED to have breakfast at Big Sur Bakery. Actually I wanted to have dinner there but they are selfish and insist on closing the restaurant on Sunday night. We will SURVIVE on morning pastry, I suppose.

But the point of this post is that I found the most perfect little place to stay for the night. Glen Oaks. yesssss. I had all but resigned myself to a spider crusted, rotting pine cabin thing on the highway (which would have been fine, considering we are just stopping over for the night), until I found this little gem today.









Cute, no? Kind of modern-ish with rustic Pendleton blankets and fire pits and beanie-wearing. I'm super excited. And it's pretty close in price to the spidery cabins with no design details. I'll always pay more for a little attention to the decors.

I was also pretty fired up about Treebones Resort and staying in a yurt on the cliff above the ocean, maybe would have even preferred it, but they have a two night minimum. Lame. On Sunday even. I mean really.

More on the vacation later. I just had to share this bit today. After I confirmed our reservation of course. In case a whole horde of you were also planning to stay in Big Sur that same night. I have to protect my vacation interests. You understand.

21 comments:

Desi McKinnon said...

I love the bakery too.

Thanks for the tip on Glen Oaks. My husband and I always stay in cabins. I wanted to stay in the yurts too, but no bathroom was a no go for Josh.

Jessica said...

my fiance and i just did the LA to San Fran road trip last month with a mandatory stop at Big Sur Bakery. oh lordy, the pastries in that place will just leave you swooning. i wanted to move in and sleep curled up next to the nectarine coffee cake with my head resting on a blueberry struedel. have fun!

MFAMB said...

how fabulous!!! well chosen and well planned it would seem. i hope you have a glorious anniversary trip. although, i have heard nothing but jawdropping amazingness about kuai.

Katie said...

This place looks beautiful and so sweet!!! If you do decide to 'commit' to Big Sur ;-) I can't wait to hear a post about the trip!!! Wes and I have been wanting to get up there again-we were lucky the first time having friends with an amazing little cabin...but stay at Glen Oaks looks like a sweet treat! Happy vaca...wherever it takes you.

Anonymous said...

More about Big Sur please! My fiance and I are doing a Big Sur roadtrip this fall as well. Would love more suggestions!

Holly said...

oh ive always wanted to stay at treebones, but i think i never booked it because i seem to remember you have to share the bathroom with other guests! i live in the bay and im glad it almost moves other people to tears too! it is magical up here :)

Rachel said...

Lucky find! It looks fabulous. I need to plan a mini trip soon.

Milan said...

AHHHHH! this is where i wanted to stay for my three year anniversary this wekeend but of course, it's labor day weekend and everywhere is booked. I hope you get a chance to share with us your experience here. Lucky you!

-Milan

Emilia Jane said...

Treebones is the best! Most romantic, relaxing place I have ever stayed. Granted I got engaged while I was there but I highly recommend it for any getaway.

Anonymous said...

Big Sur Bakery is amazing! I always get their almond croissant and a frittata. After that I feel like I will explode, but it is too delicious to waste any.
Since they are closed for dinner, you might try Nepenthe. It has a killer view and a great outdoor firepit. You can relax and have a drink while watching the sunset and enjoying good (if not slightly overpriced) food.
Have fun!

Caroline said...

I absolutely love Big Sur!! My husband and I got engaged at Garrapata State beach. If you haven't been there its absolutely amazing and the Big Sur bakery is so yummy!! I agree there is something magical about that area!! You will have an amazing trip!!!

kristina said...

Ooh see, I'm so glad there are so many of us that love the same things. Any other tips for dinner in Big Sur would be much appreciated!

We were thinking Nepenthe, Anonymous (sorry I don't know your name!)... always love reinforcement.

I shall post the rest of the details of the trip soon. We're so excited.

vanessa rutter said...

i never knew about glen oaks! i could move in there right now, especially with that sweet little fire pit area... big sur is one of my favorite places in the world, but i have usually spent my time there backpacking and camping in the tall redwood forest. now i have another option when we want to take it easy... have a great trip!!

Cat said...

I love Big Sur!! But just a warning, that really isn't an easy stop over for SanFran. You have to drive along the cost with switch backs. Just thought I would let you know if you didn't know already. It really is a beautiful place and I hope you enjoy it!

alyson. said...

Pendleton blankets are the best. :)

looks like so much fun!!!

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Sounds like a great getaway - it's lovely there.

Amanda said...

Ahh! I don't even know what to DO I'm so happy about that place you're staying. SO. happy.

Unknown said...

i don't mean to be a buzzkill, but please let me give you an honest account of staying at glen oaks. we stayed at glen oaks motor lodge in october 2007. while it is indeed better than the spidery cabins (and near them, too!), the reviews aren't lying when they say that the place is loud. we could hear *every* conversation, noise, etc. of anyone coming or going in the whole complex, though from what i remember, most of the reviews complained about street noise. pfft! also, there are no deadbolts, just little turn-key handle locks, and the fridge that's behind the curtain-closet ... the light kept coming on in the middle of the night and we were sure the place was haunted. o, and our shower didn't work. but the bathrooms are otherwise lovely indeed. and it is considerably less expensive than the other options in the area and in a great locale. personally, i will try another place before staying there again.

Unknown said...

o, and we would absolutely recommend the patio at rocky point for breakfast, lunch, or a beverage. the scenery is unbelievable!

http://www.rocky-point.com

erinandpaul said...

Big Sur is one of the stops we are making on our honeymoon in March. Please post more details after your trip! We are staying at the Ragged Point Inn (http://raggedpointinn.com/cliff.htm) there. Though the heated bathroom floors at Glen Oaks is a hard thing to resist.....

Amy said...

Hi - I randomly came across your blog as recommended by Google reader. I have to say one thing: GO TO KAUAI! My husband and I just returned a few weeks ago - it is the most breathtakingly beautiful place! Rent a jeep or convertible, ride around with the sunshine on your backs. Drive to the north side and snorkel at Tunnels Beach. Take a boat ride up the Napali Coast. Bring your camera everywhere. Take a helicopter ride. Hawaii is all rainbows and sunshine. I swear there might as well be unicorns there!