Wednesday, September 16, 2009

last minute card making

Here's how my day has been starting for the last few mornings. 6:00 - que the low but incredibly annoying squawks coming from the eglu. Curse chickens and their suspiciously reptilian ancestors.

Get out of bed, in underwear stumble outside to make sure there's not a cat or a hawk perched on top of the coop. Cat or hawk is a good thing, because once you chase it away, they shut up and you can go back to sleep.

No cat or hawk. Instead just ornery birds. Sigh.

Stumble back inside and start coffee maker.

This morning I had a surprising squirt of inspiration (after first sip of coffee) and decided to make a card (even though I bought one yesterday) for Brock's brother's wedding on Saturday. HOW FUN.

I don't care what anyone says, security envelopes and bunting flags are still cute. And they will continue to be cute until the end of time. Along with vintage mason jars.







I haven't quite decided how to finish the card. Or if I'll actually give it to them. It doesn't look like their wedding at all, which is black tie and fancy and elegant and things. But fun morning project nonetheless.

15 comments:

Rachel Dangerfield said...

I. Love. This. I have absolutely nothing intelligent or insightful to say about it, because I simply love it too much. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

That is SO cute and inspiring! I may just have to copy you, but I'll let you know and give you credit for sure! I just LOVE it!

Tara Vorhes said...

What a sweet, lovely card! I love the bunting. Did you cut the little flags using scissors or by using a punch? They are so perfectly cut!

{lisa} said...

Wow! What time do you have to be at work in the morning? I wish had time to create such lovely projects...

Guider Carmen said...

Love.

Have to say I'm quite jealous that I don't suffer from 'squirts of inspiration' like this in the mornings.

Allison said...

if it's too casual for the wedding you can send it to me instead :)

alas, i also don't get squirts of inspiration (or get out of bed at a decent hour) so I rarely do projects on a whim... lovely thought

Sealicious said...

They came out so well!

Joslyn said...

LOVE these...love.

man security envelopes rock!

kristina said...

Thanks you guys! It's amazing what can happen with a few hours early in the morning.

tara - I just cut them out by hand. They don't all match, but it's kind of hard to tell with all the different patterns and such.

lisa- when your chickens wake you up at 6, you have more time than you think! unless you have to be at work early. I don't go in until 9:30-ish.

joslyn - they do rock! don't they? These were just lying around in our "mail to deal with" pile this morning. But something tells me your house is more organized than mine!

Also, update. I think I'm going to turn it into a baby card. It's more baby, don't you think? Melanie and Sky can have the awesome card I picked out for them already.

brooke said...

what a creative idea! this card is adorable!!!! and i bet you had fun making it to. im with you...bunting flags and vintage mason jars will always be in!

Sloan said...

Adorable. Very creatively productive of you.
You voiced perfectly the reason my husband thinks I might not be ready for chickens (well, aside from the fact that we live in an apartment at the moment)--he thinks the noise they make will drive me batty. This is quite possible.

Amy@OldSweetSong said...

Nicely done. I love it and agree with you 100%! Also always cute no matter how overused: baker's twine, vintage typewriters and 'keep calm and cary on' posters.

livi said...

i LOVE LOVE this! this is the cutest card i have seen in a long time. i want to make one!

east side bride said...

I am with you. Who said mason jars were tired??

Unknown said...

It's so darling! Yay for inspiration! xo.