Wednesday, September 23, 2009

if i were dressing up

I'd be pretty tempted to make one of these bird masks from this month's Martha.





The october issue is not normally a favorite of mine, I have to say. Perhaps I'll appreciate it more when I have kidlets to dress up or the urge to throw a party for our friends (with kids too). But since that isn't the case just yet, there are only SO MANY pumpkin decorations and fake creepy food ideas I can handle. And I think I hit my limit 5 years ago.

HOWEVER. Aren't these bird masks cool? It looks like the blanks are actually paper mache and only cost $3.00. You can get them here. And see Martha's tutorial here.

We're going to be in Napa, dining on fine cuisine on Halloween so I'm not convinced we're going to partake in costuming this year. But we'll see.

12 comments:

Marian said...

Oh wow, these are fabulous!! Love it

Joslyn said...

i have kids and i have to say the october issue isn't my fave...really there's only so much pumpkin i can take.

but yes, those masks are divine.

Rita Finn said...

I love the bird masks! Perhaps I'll make one to greet kids at my door. I could look, and look, and look at your blog all day long!

Anonymous said...

Wow i just adore this.

Molly said...

Aren't Martha's Halloween crafts THE BEST? Her team is so ingenious at coming up with Halloween stuff specially, for some reason. Love it all!

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

oh this is brilliant! I needed a good idea for my lil' crumbs costume!

And believe me, I would choose good eats in Napa over trick or treating! (oops, did I say that? Bad mama!)

kristina said...

For the record, I'm considering making the masks anyway. Or at least buying the blanks for next year? They're so cool.

livi said...

This is so beautiful. I might make these for my wedding for guests to take pictures in (as an alternative to all the mustaches)

the NEO-traditionalist said...

I love the photography in all the Martha spreads---the first image with the birds mask is exquisite. How does she do it???
XX Kate

kristina said...

Livi, they would be an amazing wedding prop!

Mel, I think that just makes you an adult who appreciates fine food... and a good mom. :)

Joslyn, kay that makes me feel better. I was hoping I wouldn't suddenly find myself excited by ghoulish decor.

east side bride said...

I LOVE them.

Amanda said...

Gorg.